Q is for Query. Why is it that the query is such a puzzle for most beginning writers? It is an important piece of the publishing process and is a skill that can be mastered. Here are a few tips for the perfect query:
- Keep it simple and direct- give just enough information to interest the editor but do not give your life story.
- Clearly state the main character and conflict, purpose of the book, or problem that the book will solve depending on if it is nonfiction or fiction.
- Don't give the entire synopsis or list every twist and turn of the story. Leave the editor with a sense of wanting to read more
- Pose an interesting question or two with the promise of answers in the manuscript.
- Be professional at all times, respectful, and polite.
- Spelling and typing should be polished. No room for error in the query.