Market Research....Where do I begin?
- The path of a writer can be rewarding but it can also be confusing. Where do new writers begin when searching the writing marketplace? It can be a long and dusty path without a plan.
Sometimes it is better to search the marketplace and go over writer's guidelines first.
Try these tips for finding the perfect market match:
- Make a list of topic ideas that are of interest to you.
- Read the current magazine market guide and locate 5-10 markets that your idea may fit into.
- Go over the guidelines with a fine tooth comb and search their websites for keys to the style and topics they have covered recently and in the past.
- Sit down and choose one of your ideas that may fit and outline how you want to present the ideas.
- Write the article for a particular magazine. Revise and rewrite as needed to fit the guidelines.
- When the article is ready for the target market you have chosen, submit it to the first publisher on your target list.
- Start the process over with your next idea while you wait for a response.
- Be ready to send it again to the next market on your list if you get a rejection. In this way you are consistently working on something while you wait, you have the next place in mind, and you have done research to make certain that your idea is a good fit.
If you work in a routine way to target your ideas to specific markets it will increase your chances of success. Try it and let me know.
By the way, Lilly is working on a recipe for soup. Anyone have any good recipes for soup that are good for a queasy stomach and that kids may like. Send me your recipes for a chance to have them included in the book with your name and bio. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your soup recipes for kids.