G is for Gruesome

G is for Gruesome. There can be just a smidge of gruesome even in books for kids. Look at the wild success of the Goosebumps books and there is gruesome in the theme of every story by R.L. Stine. Gruesome is what makes the reader turn the page and thirst for more.

Even the youngest reader can get excited about gruesome. Think the farting dog, the captain's underpants, and the book on fish farts. Gruesome sells. Gruesome keeps readers reading.

Adults and kids alike want to read gruesome details about characters whether science fiction or real life fiction. It is what takes the reader away from the simple or boring daily life they lead.

What does that mean for the writer trying to break into publishing? Rethink your story line. Examine the plot and decide if a tad bit of  gruesome might add interest, suspense, or a gory detail that will enhance your story.

Gruesome must work on some level or Steven King, James Patterson, and other famous authors that include it in their stories would not be so popular. Now where can I add alittle gruesome to my next story?

Comments

  1. I never got into these, but some kids just devour them! Different strokes...

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's definitely an attraction to the repulsive. Well worth using darker details in a story.

    new follower,
    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hinting can be as good as explicit in some books I think. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, kids love to be thrilled and horrified in a safe way, maybe it's a way for them to practise the emotions involved? One theory, anyway! Good blog.

    I write for children and older children and adults - and love the challenge.

    If you are interested, I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids love Goosebumps. Never read them myself though.

    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts