Welcome Author Jewel Kats






Thanksgiving food is made, laundry is done, and I'm off to work the holiday night shift but before I go, please help me welcome Jewel Kats, a wonderful author for children. May all of you have a blessed Thanksgiving day.



Tell us about your current book. Give a short summary and also how you got the idea for this book.



I’ve always loved the story of, “Cinderella.” I’ve literally read every version out there—many with unique multicultural twists. However, I never came across a story that I could completely relate to. Up until now, there has never been a re-told version of “Cinderella” featuring a protagonist with a disability. Hence, I decided to fill this void. I thought it was about time there be a Princess on a wheelchair! High-time, actually!!!  



As for the synopsis, “Cinderella’s Magical Wheelchair” is a modern-day tale that takes place in a Kingdom far, far away. Cinderella is forced to work like a mule for Stepmother and her twin stepsisters. One day, an invitation arrives. It’s from the Palace. A Royal costume party is being held! Stepmother promises Cinderella she can attend. The catch? She has to make jewelry for the twins. Cinderella keeps her word. Whereas, Stepmother doesn’t. Magic ensues. And, I’ll leave the rest to your imagination…

What is a typical writing day like for you?

First of all, I hardly sleep! Seriously. It’s hard for me to shut down and catch some zzzzz’s. My mind is always running about. I currently write full-time, and for this I’m very grateful. Why? I have the luxury to write either in the afternoon; or if an idea strikes me at night. I usually work about six solid hours per day on some writing related project. I’m usually doing a few things at once. More often than not, I end up working more.



 What do you enjoy most about writing?



I absolutely love the process of getting into my character. I often read what they’d like. Sometimes, I even dress like them! I really try to immerse myself into their brain. I’ve nicknamed this technique: “method writing.” I also enjoy the process of imagining new environments and new worlds.


What is the most difficult part of writing?



Sometimes, I struggle to write. Well, I still manage to write in a literal sense—but I don’t like anything that I record! I call them my “backspace days.” I’ve learned to get through this by telling myself something is better than an empty page. Moreover, I regurgitate maybe my version of “junk” is another person’s form of “art.” I’ve often been told that I’m too hard on myself—both personally and professionally. Read: I’m only human.



 Is there any book that, when you read it, you thought, "I wish I had written that!"?

I really admire books from other genres—specifically, Harlequin Romances. It’s always been my dream to write one. I’ve gone as far as writing a story outline, and character sketches. However, something keeps holding me back. Perhaps, it’s fear? Deep down, I wonder if I have what it takes to write fiction for women. Thus far, much of my success has come from writing for folks under 30. My career as a journalist is a whole other story.  



Do you have a website? If so, please give the URL. If not, where can readers go online to learn more about your book(s) and to order?







What are you working on right now?

We recently bought a poodle puppy named, Bambi. She will be coming home to us on Nov. 6th. Anyhoooo, I got this wacky idea to host a real-life “puppy shower” for her. Through this thought, a children’s chapter book idea sprouted. The “what-ifs” started, and soon enough a grade one student named, Beatrice, formed. She’s a hilarious kid who orchestrates a puppy shower to show-off to her arch enemy.

What is your best tip for aspiring authors?

Please don’t ever give up! Rejection letters are a part of the book authoring process. Also, remember to be open to critiquing. Stories can always improve!



What advice would you give children and teens as they prepare for life?



Keep repeating this: “There is a silver lining around each dark cloud.” Learn to find positives in negatives. Learn to turn your frown into a smile. Learn to laugh through rain.

Comments

Popular Posts